Monday, April 11, 2011

I give you Mexican. You give me Indian.

So I made a deal with the kids and my husband. I would make them any dinners they asked for so long as they can be made seasonal and organic. Also they need to allow me one or two "Meatless Mondays,or Tuesdays" a week (with NO complaining). Last week was our first week. All they asked for was tacos and burritos and Spanish rice. Alright, so they like Mexican food and luckily I can cook some GOOD Mexican food. I don't make meat that often because it becomes pretty pricey for a family of five. So last week that is what they ate. I bought the best corn tortillas, made beans, bought organic ground beef and all the fun things that go with them. I even fried the tortillas and sprinkled them with Parmesan cheese, like my mom use to. She did it WAY before Jimboys. She's and revolutionary woman, I tell ya. They are pretty damn good and next time I make them I will share the recipe. I was starving when I made mine last week, all prettied up. So, no time for a picture.

Anyhow, this was our dinner for "Meatless Monday" It tasted better than it looks (if your not a fan of beans or Indian food)

Chickpea Curry (inspired by this recipe)

Aside from the ingredients the recipe calls for I added a few things.

I roasted cauliflower and asparagus and served them on the side. (Winner, Winner by the way, the kids finished all of that!!)

Chicken broth instead of water

1 Chopped Tomato

I cut back on the Curry because the one I have it pretty spicy.

I dashed it with red pepper flake, too.  I know, total contradiction of the above statement...different types of heat. My kids love red pepper flake. Oh, and now Cholula Hot Sauce...but that's another post (one about condiment addictions).

Once served we topped it with plain yogurt (man-boy used sour cream) and I sprinkled mine with the Garam Masala. Which my husband bought for me a while ago and I have always wanted to use it. I also didn't use a slow cooker. I just let it simmer in the stove for 30 minutes and it was delicious.

Do you participate in Meatless Monday? I am always looking for more ideas.

Here's a pic!

No comments:

Post a Comment