Friday, October 21, 2011

Meet the "6 Chicks"

Our girls: 


From top to bottom: 

D.Victoria (Buff Orpington) named by my mom, because it's blonde like her BFF whom I am sure would be  thrilled to know this!

Rintoo (Barred Rock) named and claimed by Dominic.

Rosie (Americauna or Easter Egger) named and claimed by Desiree. 

Roxy (Leghorn) She is mine by default.

Cozy (Buff Orpington) named and claimed by Alexander.

Tilly (Silver Laced Wyandotte) named and claimed by Richard

Chickens were a no-no here in our city up until recently where a new ordinance has been passed and will be in effect on Nov 1st. I attended the meeting along with Desiree.

Us, along with our babies and "CLUCK" stickers after the successful meeting. Where one council member specifically directed her attention to Desiree and said "She was passing this ordinance for the little girl in the 2nd row...for her generation".  


 My daughter is a farm girl living in the city. Her first beloved animal was a horse...at 2 she adored horses. She loves country music. She comes alive where there's room to run and be free. So she pushed for these chickens, and Richard and I finally bit the bullet.  Richard was on board as long as he wasn't left to all the hard work. ex: cleaning up the poop!

The first time my daughter had to refill the food and water, it was morning and she was outside in her slippers and nightgown and she said "Mommy, this feels like a real farm." I asked her if she was happy and she said "Yes, I love my chickens."

So it's been a little over two months and they are currently in a brooder that he built and we are in the process of designing our coop which will be a variation of this http://pluckandfeather.com/noisy-hens.html in the end.

We will most likely never have a farm, but the fact that we can provide a bit of the simple life and self sufficiency here feels right to me. Dominic has learned what "Gentle" means, because chicks "scream" when squeezed...no bueno! This has also helped Alexander search for his inner kid and he loves his "chick" :) he said he will take her to college with him and he will be the only kid who has a hen as a pet.

I enjoy doing the dishes and/or cooking and seeing the hens run back and forth. We all spend much more time outside and they've inspired a new "Native California" backyard theme for us. I am so thankful that my husband and I listened and chose to try something new for our kids.Yes, I had a few weeks of  worrying about the "what if's"  but it's completely worth it.

I know this is a growing trend and I'd love to read about your chickens if you have them.

XO,
Tracy 

No comments:

Post a Comment